As the song says, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year.” From carols and desserts to songs and gifts, holiday cheer is in the air, but not for all. This time of the year can be hard for those who have lost a loved one, especially if this is their first holiday season without them.
During the holidays, those who have lost a loved one can feel like something is missing, especially when memories of past holidays start coming back.
At our funeral home and cemetery, we believe in honoring the lives of our families’ departed loved ones. We aim to protect the past, honor the present, and embrace the future through our services. Our services celebrate lives and help these families join together in love to honor the one who has just passed. We wanted to share with you some ways to make it through the holiday season while honoring your lost loved one – we hope these tips make this time a little bit easier for you.
Honoring a Lost Loved One Over the Holiday Season
- Put an ornament on the Christmas tree in honor of something he/she loved or did as a hobby.
- Cook or bake their favorite foods and desserts and share this with your loved ones.
- Hang up their stocking – this will help you feel like you’re including them in the celebration.
- Make a toast or say a prayer that honors your loved one or that shares special memories about him/her.
- Donate in his/her name or have a mass/service said in his/her honor.
- Do a holiday activity or trip he/she loved to do, whether it was watching The Grinch, caroling, or driving by decorated homes.
- Donate his/her clothes to those in need to local shelters or churches.
- Let yourself, your children, siblings, parents, express emotions in many ways during this hard time.
- Don’t worry about making everything perfect for this year’s holiday plans. Holidays are much more about spending time with loved ones than gifts or desserts.
- Make sure to take care of yourself, mentally and physically, during this time.
- Re-evaluate family traditions. See if there’s certain traditions you want to change or carry on forever.
- Don’t be afraid to ask family members or friends with help during the holidays. This is a stressful time of year, and even more stressful if you are in mourning.
Looking for a Funeral Homes in Jacksonville, Florida?
The holidays are a fun, magical time of year, but they can also be a stressful time of year (and not just for those in bereavement). You will have pain and sadness from the death of a loved one – this is natural. Focus your attention on those around you still living and how you can make happy memories with them this season. It’s ok to feel sad but try to honor your loved ones the best ways you can during the holidays.
For over 130 years, we have honored more than 80,0000 lives honored across 167 acres at Evergreen Cemetery, Funeral Home & Crematory. Our professional and caring staff is dedicated to working with your family to help in selecting high quality and affordable funeral services during a time in need.
We are here for you the next time you lose someone you love. If you’re looking for funeral home Jacksonville, Fl, let our team at Evergreen help you. Call us at 904-353-3649 for more information, or send us an email. We are available to serve your needs whether you are using Evergreen Cemetery or any other resting place of your choice.