Losing a loved one is never easy for anyone. It takes time to fully accept the reality that your loved one has passed on from this world. In the past, funeral services were a tradition done to honor a loved one. However, as grief-stricken as you and your family are, attending and organizing a bleak affair like a funeral service sometimes makes it even harder to say goodbye.
Funeral services in Jacksonville, FL don’t need to be as somber as you think. The alternative is organizing a celebration of life that’s focused less on tradition. You can focus on the departed one’s achievements in life and how they touched the lives of others. Isn’t that a better way to close a chapter in someone’s life? Here’s what you need to know about planning a celebration of life.
What is a Celebration of Life?
A celebration of life is an event focused on sharing stories of the deceased and commemorating the joys they brought into the lives of others. In a way, it is a party with a purpose—and that purpose is to remember a loved one in a more personal, festive, and celebratory way. While there are often tears, these events tend to focus on happiness and laughter in creative and meaningful ways.
Celebration of Life Ideas
Just as each person is unique, each celebration of life service is mostly personal and unique to the departed. As you explore ideas for a service, consider what the deceased would enjoy. Their favorite music, food, holiday, hobbies, and locations will play a huge part in determining how you would hold a celebration of life service. Here are a few ideas for a celebration of life that you can consider when planning your own.
- Ask attendees to bring along a story or memory of the deceased that they can share with everyone. This is a great way to talk about your loved one’s accomplishments in life, but you must consider the comfort levels of your guests. Please be mindful that not all will be willing to share their memory publicly.
- Enjoy songs, bands, or the genre of music that were favorites of the deceased. Music is an integral part of life for many people, making this the perfect event to showcase music that’s meaningful to your loved one.
- If planning for snacks or refreshments, consider enjoying your loved one’s favorite dishes or treats.
- Create a photo memory board or a memorial DVD or slideshow of images showing your loved one’s happiest moments in life.
- A balloon release or a floating lantern rite is always a beautiful gesture. Make it personalized as much as possible by adding messages or little trinkets on the balloons.
- Ask guests to make a donation to a scholarship fund or charitable organization in the deceased’s name instead of sending flowers.
- If the deceased was a collector, organizing a small exhibit showing their collectibles is a great way to honor them.
- Distribute memorial tree seedlings. Thank guests for coming with a memorial tree seedling that you can plant in honor of the deceased.
Death may mean the end of a journey, but it can also be a celebration of life. Organizing an event like this isn’t just for honoring the departed but also for helping those who are still living to continue on with their lives.
At Evergreen Cemetery, Funeral Home, and Crematory, we believe that every life deserves to be honored and celebrated. We’ve been serving the Jacksonville community since 1880 through our funeral and crematory services. We understand that every family has different needs, and we are ready to assist you during a difficult time. Contact our Jacksonville funeral home for inquiries.
, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.