Death is a hard topic. Dealing with a death is even harder. When someone we know and/or love is dealing with a loss, it can be hard to find the words to comfort the person and show that we care. Nothing we say seems to be right. We don’t want to make them feel worse. Sometimes, what we think is a good thing to say can be destructive and hurt the person more.
For this article, we wanted to share with you some goof things for you to say to someone you know who is grieving and some other words and lines you should avoid.
Things to Say to a Grieving Person
- “I’m sorry for your loss.” This line is honest and to the point. It is a cliché line that is timeless and not offensive or harsh in any way.
- “Let me help you with _____”. By suggesting, you’re offering to help the grieving person with things they may need like buying groceries, making dinner, running errands, or mowing the lawn. It can be hard for a grieving person to ask for help.
- “Would you like to talk about it?” This shows your friend/loved one that you are there to listen. Accept his/her answer, whether they are ready to talk or not.
- “Can I share my favorite memory of _____”. This is a genuine way to help your friend celebrate the deceased person’s life and share new stories and facts he/she may not have known.
- “I’m here if you need me for anything.” This line lets the griever know they are not alone. Let them know you will be there if they need to reach out to someone.
Things Not to Say to a Grieving Person
- “It was their time.” This line is a no-no. It implies you think the loss was intentional or necessary.
- “This was part of God’s plan.” This also shows you think the loss was purposeful.
Talking to a grieving person can be intimidating, awkward, and hard. A simple “I’m sorry” and “I’m here for you” is more than enough to comfort someone suffering from a loss.
At Evergreen Cemetery, Funeral Home & Crematory, we believe in providing people with a wealth of information on many different topics, and we welcome all questions. If you have any questions about funeral etiquette or protocol, we can help. If you want information about funeral services, we welcome you to visit us at our offices at 4535 Main Street in Jacksonville or by a phone call to 904-353-3649 to learn more.
Looking for a Funeral Home in Jacksonville, Florida?
As a Jacksonville, Florida, funeral home, we know every family has different needs, and we have the expertise and skills to meet your needs. Whether you’re looking for a burial or cremation, we will work with you to start the process in your time of need. We want to help you through this difficult time.
If you have any questions about funerals, cremations or burials, please reach out to us.
If you’re looking for a funeral home Jacksonville, Florida, our team at Evergreen can help you with the process. We are honored to help you with any funeral, cremation, and cemetery options. Call us at 904-353-3649 for more information, or visit our funeral home Jacksonville, FL contact page.